Did you know that nearly every household in America is exposed to one very dangerous chemical every day? This chemical can cause problems to the nervous system, trouble breathing, and even cancer. The culprit? Chlorine.
Chlorine is a halogen, made by sending an electrical current through salt water. It is a chemical element that is extremely corrosive and has a suffocating odor. Though it is a gas in its natural form, it is two and a half times heavier than air.
Chlorine gas was used in WWI as a very effective killing method. That gas becomes a liquid when it is compressed. The liquid form of chlorine is added to all of the water running through our pipes. Yep, the same chemical that was once used to kill wartime enemies is added to our water!!
This poison is added to water before it enters our homes as a means to kill bacteria and reduce the risk of infectious diseases. However, while we need clan water, studies have shown that drinking chlorinated water actually increases the risk of getting cancer by 93%. What’s worse than chlorine? Well, when it comes into contact with our skin, DBPs (disinfectant by-products) are created. DPBs are 1,000 times more toxic than plain old chlorine.
It’s estimated that 90% of Americans are drinking and showering in water contaminated with DBPs. While The Environmental Protection Agency is working to implement a new standard for clean water, it will be a while before any changes happen. In the meantime, there are a few ways to keep your chlorine interactions to a minimum:
Stop Using Chlorine Bleach
Chlorine bleach is a widely used cleaning product throughout the world. It can cause the same harmful effects (or more because of its concentration) as chlorinated water. Eliminating the use of chlorine bleach in your home will help keep your contact with chlorine to a minimum. Consider natural methods of cleaning, like those used by The Grout Medic.
Investing in a water filter for your drinking water, and a filter showerhead can have major benefits to your health. Not all water filters are capable of filtering out chlorine, however. While most of the big-name brands at least help eliminate the odor and taste of chlorine, some, like these options, bring out the big guns.
Making small changes in your home may not be 100% effective in keeping chlorine out, but it can make a huge difference. Working to eliminate this poisonous chemical will help you rest easy knowing your family is safe from harm.